Leadership and Professional Development
Developing Decision Makers Is What We Do Best!
Top level executives and seasoned veterans are offered cutting edge learning and training opportunities, highly specialized and confidential recruiting solutions, executive coaching, mentoring and board development resources, in addition to a compliment of beneficial intangibles through our leadership network.
Opportunities to develop and expand leadership skills through the local organization include committee appointments, board positions, and ad hoc project assignments. In addition, leadership skills training via community service involvement is recommended.
The following opportunities are available, both on a local and national level:
NBMBAA® BoardNet USA
Connecting Non-Profit Boards and New Leaders
This service is free to all members of the NBMBAA. The search process is enabled by powerful technology that helps board candidates and organizations screen for particular attributes, skills, locations and other data that meet their needs.
Serving on a non-profit board is an important vehicle to build key leadership skills that can help you in the development of your career. Skills that include the following:
- Strategic Development
- Staff Management
- Budget Management
- Networking Skills
Along with those skills you will have the personal satisfaction in knowing you are Making a Difference in Your Community.
Stanley K. Lacy Executive Leadership Series (SKL)
Emerging community leaders have the opportunity to become more effective in their community leadership through the distinguished program known as Stanley K. Lacy Executive Leadership Series® or SKL®.
Generously funded by The Lacy Foundation, the SKL series is designed to help emerging community leaders become more informed about the issues and needs facing Central Indiana, more motivated to get involved in addressing those issues, more connected and more effective in their service to our community. Thanks to the generous support of The Lacy Foundation, the SKL Series is a third of the cost of similar programs in other cities.
SKL participants will:
- Learn about the issues facing our community today, explore them in-depth with current community leaders and discover ways to get involved and help affect change.• Meet the business and civic leaders who have made our community what it is today—and can help you shape and realize your vision for what we’ll become in the future.
- Glean insight into how to be a difference-maker in our community from the community leaders and decision-makers who act as SKL “faculty”.
- Develop positive and meaningful relationships with fellow class members and the class moderator.
- Build a network of community contacts that will be helpful in your future community service efforts.
Click here to read more about The Stanley K. Lacy Executive Leadership Series.
Leadership Education and Development (LEAD)
Lacy Leadership Association
The LEAD program is designed for emerging and experienced civic leaders who want to be more effective in their community leadership endeavors. Throughout four sessions, participants develop and hone the key skills necessary to achieving success in the civic arena, and have the opportunity to practice them. Participants see what real-world leadership looks like and explore strategies for pulling everything – and everyone – together so that they can find success in challenging environments.
Please visit the website for more information.
Preparing for nonprofit board leadership
Leadership United is United Way of Central Indiana’s comprehensive community leadership and board development program. Leadership United programs utilize a combination of classes and practical experiences to help participants develop their leadership skills, increase their knowledge of the community, and acquire the skills necessary to be successful community leaders.
This unique community development program is designed to identify motivated and aspiring leaders in Central Indiana. The program prepares participants for the challenges of their lifelong leadership journeys within the nonprofit community.
Scheduled from September to May, Leadership United uses a combination of monthly classes and practical experiences to help participants develop their leadership skills and increase their knowledge of the community.
Leadership Ignited is a leadership development program that offers a rotating schedule of workshops that are designed to ignite interest, help participants gain leadership education and provide volunteerism experiences focused around one of United Way of Central Indiana’s priorities – Education, Financial Stability, Health or Basic Needs. Topics change regularly.
CertifyNOW Discount for NBMBAA® Members
CertifiNOW offers exclusive discounts to NBMBAA® Members on public and private training courses. Log in to your Member Portal to retrieve your discount and start your training today! Please visit the national professional development website for further information.
If you need to pass the PMP® or CAPM® exam and you want to get the best project management learning experience, then CertifiNOW™ is the right choice for you.
This project management learning program provides:
- The best learning experience in a condensed amount of time, while also satisfying most, if not all, of your professional certification, education, and training needs.
- The CertifiNOW® certification course reduces exam preparation time from an average of nine to twelve months, down to three days of classroom instruction.
- For senior executives contemplating organizational transformation, but not seeking certification, this course is beneficial because it provides a solid theoretical framework and the proper paradigm for thinking about Projectized organizational structures and the project management profession.
The NBMBAA® Webinar Academy
- Webinar Academy topics are focused on skill-building for personal, professional and financial growth. NBMBAA® online webinars are open only to association members.
- Webinars are hosted by training professionals and/or topic experts to provide the highest-quality experience for our members.
Training Presentation and Q&A
- Each one-hour webinar consists of a training presentation followed by an interactive Q&A session with live attendees.
- Webinars are recorded and made available to our members in the NBMBAA® Knowledge Center for evergreen access to a wealth of content.
Since the Civil Rights era, the Black community has lagged behind other ethnic groups in key areas of well-being, including: education, overall health, income and career opportunities. National Black MBA Association’s Black Think Series features roundtable discussions that address critical issues facing Black professionals today. This invitation-only series brings together key influencers and stakeholders from across sectors to inspire collaboration, inform the development of public-private partnerships, along with creating action and advocacy plans to ensure that Black professionals develop and are recognized as industry leaders.